Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My 17 year old cat hasn't eaten it seems like week. She's

Customer Question

My 17 year old cat hasn't eaten it seems like for a week. She's drinking water regularly, but I've started to noticed bald spots on her. One spot is raw, but the rest look clean/healthy skin. Also, she's drooling.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 11 months ago.

It is very concerning for us to see cats that do not eat for more than 24 hours.. There are many medical conditions that can cause this to occur such as infection, endocrine disease (such as diabetes or thyroid disease) and/or organ dysfunction. This can be especially so in an older cat. After cats do not eat for 24-36 years, they will begin to have liver dysfunction that can result in neurologic signs such as stumbling or confusion. Her drooling could be a result of extreme nausea secondary to one of these conditions or severe mouth pain associated with dental and periodontal disease.

At this point, I do believe the very best thing for Domino to have her seen by his regular veterinarian. A good physical exam and the correct diagnostics will help to determine where the problem lies and get her the treatment that she needs.

I hope this advice was helpful to you:) Please do not forget to rate my answer.. I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with wonderful service. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Hello, I am just checking in to see how Domino is feeling? Please remember to rate our conversation and let me know if I can assist you further..

Hi Jennifer,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett

Hello again, I am just checking in to see how your cat is doing? Let me know if you need further advice from me. If not, please rate my response so I can receive credit for helping you and your pet. thanks so much