Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.
92155571

A friend just called me. She recently adopted a 10 month old

Customer Question

Customer: A friend just called me. She recently adopted a 10 month old kitten from a shelter. She was spayed in the last two weeks. The cat is really stinky. She said her urine has a strong ammonia smell and the cat has a smell even when she is sitting on her lap. She is drinking alot, peeing alot and doesn't seem to be pooping much.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Me?
Customer: No. She's only had her two weeks. So, there is no medical history other than she had ringworm in the shelter and was treated with antibiotics.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your friend's kitty. It sounds like she needs to have a urinalysis. Strong smelling urine can be caused by a urinary infection. It would be best to get her into a vet that could also check for bladder stones or crystals. Urinary infections are generally easily treated with a course of antibiotics and possibly a food change. Your friend should look into the shelter's new adoption policy. A lot of places will do check-ups on newly adopted animals. I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I already called and left her a message with the info above. She is not peeing outside the litterbox. Would a UTI also explain the cat having a stinky odor even when just sitting on her lap? She said that she has had a cat before and has never smelled anything like this. Whats the chance that a kitten has diabetes?
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

She would smell if had some of the urine on her. There is a chance of diabetes in a kitten. A urinalysis would help test for that as well. The vet may also run blood work to check her kidneys and liver.

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr-Bonk
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I was wondering if your friend was able to find out anything about her kitten.