Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

We adopted a rescue cat. we built a cat tunnel to access

Customer Question

We adopted a rescue cat. we built a cat tunnel to access through the pet door so she can be outside but enclosed and safe. We would like to put a litter box out there if she choose to use it. What would you recommend to fill the box with? It will get a bit of the weather, but not much as the area is covered.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. Your kitty Piper is very lucky indeed to have safe outdoor access - no doubt at all this will enrich her life significantly!

If this is a "cat preference" issue in regard to her not liking the litter that you're using now, then there are lots of "nontraditional" types of cat litters out there. Recycled newspaper litter like "Yesterday's News" is a nice low odor and low dust option - it looks like cylindrical pellets. The pellets expand when they get wet, so it's usually easy to see what needs to be scooped. It also doesn't track outside of the box much, which is nice. Crystal litters are also neat, because they are made of silicone pieces that absorb the urine and then change color. The stools you scoop out, then once most of the silicone crystals are saturated you change the whole box. In a situation where the crystals get a little rain, it's likely that you'll have to change the whole box more frequently than if it were kept inside. The one thing I don't particularly like about the crystal litter is that when it tracks out of the box, it's very sharp and uncomfortable to step on - which is a pain if you're walking in the area in bare feet or just socks. However, it does track much less than clumpable litter. Pine litter like Feline Pine is also a nice choice in terms of being different. It has a pleasing odor and is easy to clean up when it gets tracked out of the box, but if there's a little rain, it's likely that it will be overloaded and need to be changed as it absorbs liquid.

Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)