Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He is an ally cat or mixed breed. He has a huge (quarter

Customer Question

He is an ally cat or mixed breed. He has a huge (quarter sice)(78" depth). I've tried putting ending salt for 3 days and nothing's comes out so I assume it's a Tumor. It is hard he drinks ice water and it moves around under the skin. Doesn't seem to hurt him. Would it help to put alowvera or should I take him in? He's been drinking ice H2O like its a treat his whole life aproxmatly 5 years old.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This may be a tumor, or it could be an abscess. Either way, I wouldn't mess around with it at home. I would just run him in and have the vet do a needle aspirate. If they come back with pus, then it's an abscess. If it's abnormal cells, then it's a tumor.

If it's a tumor, they'll likely remove it and biopsy it. If it's an abscess, they will likely drain it and flush it out, then put him on a course of antibiotics. Some abscesses are thick walled and hard. In that case, it may just be easier to remove the entire abscess and close up the normal skin. It really depends on the size, location and how it looks once it's opened up. No matter what, surgical treatment over topical is indicated.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
Hi Myrna Fiori,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?