Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 10 year old cat has been experiencing mushy stool past 3

Customer Question

My 10 year old cat has been experiencing mushy stool for the past 3 weeks. Had blood, urine, thyroid, stool sample tests and all were OK. Vet thought her teeth might have caused an infection. Had teeth cleaned and 4 were pulled. Was on a pain med and ClindaCure antibiotic. Stool remained mushy. Five days later added Floraflora to her diet but no change in stool. After a week changed to Metronidazole and Proviable digestive health supplement. A week later still mushy stool. Changed food first to Hill's Science diet ID wet and she wouldn't eat it. Now trying ID dry and she ate it the first time it was offered to her and wouldn't eat it after that. Do you have any ideas on what to do next? I have been considering boiling chicken breast, adding rice and a little pumpkin to see if she will eat that.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 9 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short.

I am sorry to hear that Scruffy has been having soft stool for what seems like an extended period of time. If the antibiotics showed no improvement then this most likely is not a condition that can be treated with conservative treatment and I have suspicion that there is something else going on with the intestines themselves. Lymphoma (cancer of the intestines) comes to mind as this is a very frequent occurrence in cats and will cause chronic loose stools with relatively normal bloodwork findings. For detection of lymphoma, an abdominal ultrasound is usually recommended to look for masses along the small intestines. This would be my next recommendation.

- Dr. H

Also I wouldn't recommend switching the food too frequently. I know this is tempting to do but frequent meal switching can worsen the loose stool. Try to stick with a high fiber senior diet.

- Dr. H

Metamucil also works great as a fiber additive to promote bulking up of the stool.

If she does have lymphoma or if your vet suspects she does then there are treatment options available.

- Dr. H

Do you have anything to add at this time?

Or any questions about my recommendations so far?

- Dr. H

Are you there?

Do you also have a copy of the bloodwork to send to me? I know you mentioned it was all normal, however sometimes a second review can reveal some potential disease processes that could explain the chronic diarrhea.

- Dr. H