Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Cat stop delivering kitten after one stillborn and one

Customer Question

Cat stop delivering kitten after one stillborn and one healthy one. It is obvious she still have more cats.
Her vaginal and the rest of the area has some dry liquid that she does not let me clean. Wonder if this is making it difficult for her to deliver.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I applaud your caring for this stray. Unfortunately, there's little that a caretaker can do at home when dystocia (difficult birth) exists. In this case dystocia is diagnosed because more than 3 hours have passed between kittens without active contractions. To answer you directly, the dry liquid (or anything you see externally) should not be incriminatory for her dystocia. Strays are overrepresented with both the feline leukemia and feline immunosuppressive viruses - just two examples of the infectious agents which predispose to dystocia. You have two reasonable options. You can keep her comfortable and see if the tincture of time will suffice. In most cases it does; dystocia doesn't necessarily prevent parturition in cats and even normal parturition can take longer than 24 hours with a range of 4-42 hours and an average of 8 hours. Alternatively, you can bring her and her kitten to your local SPCA or animal control who will overlook her parturition and perform a caesarian section if need be.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Clarification...Can I clean her butt with a warm water. It is VERY dry. Could that dry liquid preventing the delivery? Even with a MA I had to find the meaning of some of your words.

Certainly you can clean her with warm water but the dried liquid isn't preventing delivery. When a kitten is delivered the vulva stretches and breaks down any dried liquid that may appear to block the birth canal. I'm pleased that you took the time to learn new words! Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?