Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He has a sappy eye.. Homer s 13, it's been a blk sappy eye

Customer Question

Customer: he has a sappy eye..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Homer his 13
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Homer?
Customer: it's been a blk sappy eye and I clean his fur around his eye daily, but the last couple days his been blood red. it's not bleeding it's just like a discharge.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The most common cause of this discharge in a cat, is a corneal ulcer or scratch to the cornea. These are commonly due to trauma or a viral infection (Herpes) in the eye. Either way, we typically treat them with an antibiotic drop and pain meds.

A Fluorescein stain test will be done to make sure there is an ulcer. If the test is normal, then they may just start him on some anti-inflammatory drops in case of an allergic type conjunctivitis.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.