Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My cat has these scabs on s head and I have taken m to the

Customer Question

Hi, my cat has these scabs on his head and I have taken him to the vet about 2 months ago and said its allergies so I changed everything back and he has it again
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this....yes, I agree that it is allergies. But did your vet tell you that the most likely cause is food allergies?? Nearly 95% of cats that do not have external parasites and have scabs on their head have food related allergy. This means if your cat is flea free, has no ear mites and has a negative skin scrape then there is only one other likely cause and that is food allergy. There could be environmental allergy but food definitely needs to be ruled out first. There is only one way to do that and that is with a food elimination trial that will last approximately 12-16 weeks. I prefer the hydrolyzed diets for cats to be used first. I would suggest science diet ZD food and that food needs to be fed for 12 weeks without any other food being fed (of course assuming your cat eats it and will like it well enough to get through the food trial) The other option would be a novel protein such as science diet DD food. In the meantime, your pet will likely need some steroids and possibly some antibiotics for his current problem. The scabs are secondary to the underlying cause of food related allergy. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns about how to proceed as I check my computer every night and will be online a little while longer tonight. But this is how you need to proceed. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional help. I will be back online in am and am happy to answer any follow up questions. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

This is DRB and I am checking back in with you to see if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

I will check back with you tonight to see if you have posted any further questions. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B