Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.
92155571

My cat just had kittens.. this is her 3rd litter.. but seems

Customer Question

Customer: hi, my cat just had kittens.. this is her 3rd litter.. but seems she doesnt produce milk to feed them.. and then after a few days she ends up killing them and eating them.. i have contated a couple pple that said they will take them and feed them.. but i cant get ahold of them today yet.. im a truck driver so i dont have time to feed them like they should.. and im just trying to find answers on why she isnt producing milk and ends p killing the kitens
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Just?
Customer: she was a stray yrs ago and has been with me since and is with her kittens she doesnt neglect them and does try and take care of them
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm very sorry to hear about your cat. There are many reasons why momma cats wouldn't produce enough milk. Some of the reasons are hormonal issues, not enough mammary tissue, etc. It's just like in human mothers, some just can't do it. It's hard to say what her specific problem is without seeing her. Her killing and eating the kittens is probably a survival instinct, she knows she doesn't have enough milk to properly feed them, so she takes care of it before something else can. You see this is wild animals during years where food is scarce and the mothers can't take care of all of their young.

I think taking the kittens and feeding them would be the best thing. There are several commercial powders available, but in a pinch you can use a homemade recipe of 1 can evaporated milk, 1 egg, and 1 tsp of karo syrup. Basically, you feed them whenever and how ever much they want. Usually 1/2-1 oz per kitten every 3-4 hours. With every feeding, you will need to take a warm, wet washcloth or papertowel and wipe there anal area to stimulate elimination. They can't control that on their own yet, so the momma cat has to help them by licking that area. I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr-Bonk