Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

Um, I was just looking about cat with mucus in their throat

Customer Question

Customer: Um, hello. I was just looking for info about cat with mucus in their throat constantly. And my name is ***** *****.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well, my cat had has mucus in his throat for few weeks now. He starts to cough up (currling noise included) and keeps swallowing constantly. There is nothing wrong with eating or drinking habits. He had it in the past as well, but not for such long periods of time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Alright, I can wait a bit.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 9 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H.

I understand you have a cat with excessive coughing to clear the throat area. Have you seen the vet yet for this and didn't get a diagnosis or are you looking for possibilities of what this could be before seeking treatment?

Also does your pet go outside or inside only?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hey Dr. H.Basically we've checked him up with bloodworks and such to check up, if he has cat AIDS or anything similar. Results came out negative from those and according to the vet the cat is OK in overall. Also the lungs were checked up and there was no side-noises or anything that would cause suspicion.He had pain killer (metacam) and antibiotics for two weeks previously and was alright, but after few weeks it came back. I also thought the possibility of dry air being the cause? or drinking water? (This is filtered water, though)He is an inside cat.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also - when he purrs he has this strange whistling/currling sidetone to it.

No I would not think that drinking water would cause these symtpoms as this should go down the esophagus, it sounds like the trachea is the issue.

Also dry air would cause rhinitis type symptoms like sneezing and dry nose.

Do you have any other pets in the home that go in and out that would potentially bring in parasites? (there is one parasite that causes coughing in cats and is easily treated for, typically can show signs on an x-ray).

Oh ok kind of like a wheeze?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah, it is bit of like a wheeze.Regarding the other pets. We have five in total and all of them have been checked up thoroughly before bringing in them in. We do not let them outside, because we live in a city.As a side note - I clean their litterboxes weekly with a lemon based product to keep them clean.

I would suspect that your cat may have asthma. This typically causes wheezing and coughing in cats and is pretty common. Asthma is typically diagnosed by doing a chest x-ray on kitty.

Either way if the coughing has not resolved itself for this long further testing like an x-ray would need to be done anyway.

Yes some cats have asthma as an allergic reaction to normal things in the environment. They have sensitive airway and require special treatment to keep the lung airways from getting inflamed. This inflammation commonly causes excessive mucous build-up in the chest and this leads to impaired oxygen exchange and consequently coughing.

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Alright, would this also explain the mucus (by the sound of it) in the throat region and back of his nose?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ah, the message didn't load up completely. Didn't see the end of your message.

Yes it sure can.

This is my # ***** suspicion is asthma.

Oh no its ok, the site has been acting funny as of late. - Dr .H

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Anyways, would it be an idea to have an air purifier with proper HEPA filter in the house and a air moisturizer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Even though we already vaccuum clean with a vacuum cleaner that is designed for households that have pets (Comes with a high level HEPA filter)

Yes that can help, but often-times pets with asthma need steroids (to combat the inflammation) and an inhaler to provide aerosolized anti-inflammatory's to the lungs.

The purifiers can help decrease relapses however, so still a good idea to do.

But first we have to confirm a diagnosis with an x-ray.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Alright, thanks a lot for your time regarding this. It is highly appreciated. I've had cats my whole life, but this is a first time I encounter anything like this and I was not really 100% sure what I was looking at. :)

Yes I can understand. Cats are typically very independent, but sometimes they do need our help a little. : )

You are very welcome for the advice.

Before you leave if you would be so kind as to provide me a rating by clicking on the "Rate my Expert" button above, I would appreciate it. Thanks for using the site and good luck with your kitty moving forward with his care.

Best regards,

Dr. H