Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Our feral cat was born with an abnormality regarding it's

Customer Question

Our feral cat was born with an abnormality regarding it's organs. They are outside it's body and it now is warming up to us and is maybe catchable. We're devastated regarding what to do.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

What exactly are you asking? How to trap it? Or what to do once you trap it? Where is the sack- under the belly? Coming out of the anus?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how to trap it would be good. We do have live traps. It's coming out of it's anus and it's approximately 4" long and somewhat round. The cat seems to be growing and is approximately 6 months old. We thought she would just pass, but maybe its repairable since she's survived so long. Thank-you so much.

Okay. This is what is called a prolapsed rectum, and it can be fixed surgically. It is often caused by intestinal parasites. I would try a live trap, get the kitten to a vet, and then see what they charge for the prolapsed rectum surgery. It is not as serious as being born with the organs on the outside, but depending on how bad of shape the tissue is, it may need to be surgically removed. Good luck!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank-you so much. I wish I could follow up with you with our outcome. We will do our best to trap her and get her to a vet. Much peace of mind thanks to you!!! Sincere regards.

You can absolutely follow up with me here! Once you rate my service, you can continue to converse with me as this progresses. Take care, and best of luck.