Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My almost 4 year old male cat (nuetered) had an abscess on s

Customer Question

My almost 4 year old male cat (nuetered) had an abscess on his tail. It was very sore and swollen until it opened up last night. It has drained quite well (first puss & then blood) and he has managed to keep it open. He finally let me touch it this morning. I called his vet but they cannot get him in until next Monday and said they could not give me any advice over the phone as they have not seen him yet...He is an indoor/outdoor shorthaired tabby cat. He weighs between 11 - 12 pounds. I know that the wound needs to heal from the inside out to heal properly and to keep from getting reinfected.
I healed my dogs puncture wounds when she was attacked by a pack of coyotes using wound wash from the drugstore and penG from the feed store. Healed the goats puncture wounds when she was attacked by the neighbors dog the same way... Can I do the same process with the cat? If so, how much PenG do I give an 11 to 12 pound cat? And what size needle would be the correct size as I know that PenG is rather thick. I do not want to wait until I can get him in to see his vet a week from now. Can you give me any advice?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are you able to keep him indoors for a few days?

Friend, as you already know it is best to treat the abscess as an open wound. It is important that you stop him from licking or he will delay healing. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area. Keep him indoors when he has the ecollar on.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

Note: I can not direct you to inject your cat best to wait for your veterinarian. Doing the above treatment will work very well even without the injection.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is impossible to keep him in the house...he has figured out how to unlock the kitty door...he has escaped from 2 different ecollar/cone I have tried to use on him when he was neutered. Any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can clean it out...the opening is about the size of a pencil eraser.

Do Not place an ecollar if he goes outside, it will be dangerous for him. Clean as I have described above and do your best to stop him from licking.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Hi Mickey,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter