Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat is has been in labor 24 he's and has no visible signs

Customer Question

My cat is has been in labor for over 24 he's and has no visible signs of contractions, she has light bleeding for the last 4hrs and it is getting heavier, is this normal ? Her ears are very cold and she Is lathargic but traveling small distances, has not eaten or drank in over 18 hrs but has uses the litter box once
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Cinder is experiencing trouble with her pregnancy and delivery.

Unfortunately none of the things that you are describing are normal.

24 hours is much too long to be in labor without any sign of a kitten. Usually once active labor starts we see kittens within an hour, and definitely they should be coming by now.

Heavy bleeding is also not normal, nor are her cold ears (which can signify internal bleeding and shock), and lethargy.

She needs veterinary help. It is possible that a kitten is too large, is malpositioned or she may need calcium or hormones to stimulate her uterus. But whatever is going on with her now she is beyond home care, and I am very, very concerned about her.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for Cinder. If you found my response helpful, please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****