Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My name is ***** *****; I found a pink worm burrowed into my

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****; I found a pink worm burrowed into my cat's back.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It looks like a worm. It must be painful because my cat doesn't want me to touch his back. iS THIS DANGEROUS, SHOULD I TAKE HIM TO THE VET.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: YES
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I believe you're seeing the larva of a Cuterebra fly - a "wolf larva". It's not an emergency but let your cat's vet gently enlarge the breathing hole and extract the larva with forceps. You'll then be instructed on daily routine wound care.

Cuterebra flies lay their eggs near rabbit runs and rodent burrows. Hatched larvae crawl into the fur of a mammalian host, enter the host through a natural body opening, and migrate to a subcutaneous site. Infestation appears as a solitary, 1-cm diameter, non-painful, subcutaneous swelling that fisulates (larval breathing hole). The lesion is usually located on the head, neck, or trunk. It's likely to be secondarily infected if your cat is acting painful. The appropriate systemic antibiotic will be prescribed his vet .

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?