Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

My 14 year old cat continuously licks her fur off. Her belly

Customer Question

My 14 year old cat continuously licks her fur off. Her belly is now all pink skin showing.
Her food has not been changed. She is eating normally and drinks a good amount of water.
Hairballs have not been a problem.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 months ago.

Hi Margaret this is Dr. Gabby,

I need to ask a few additional questions.

1. Does she go outside?

2. Has anything changed in the house, outside, or environment that could cause her to be stressed?

3. How long has she had the licking and skin issue?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Inside only. How long 4-6 weeks. Environment same - although have been moving small stuff around.

Ok thank you,

Licking the belly is either stress related or due to allergies. It does not sound like there is anything she would be stressed about. You may think of something later.

So it could be food allergies. Cat can develop food allergies over months to years. So she may no be allergic to what she has been eating for years. The number one allergen in cats is Chicken.

To see if she has food allergies she will need to be put on a hypo-allergenic diet for 8 weeks.

You can get one from the vet called "Hills Z/D." I have seen it online as well though it is suppose to be prescription.

Or, you can cook her diet for 8 weeks. To cook her hypo-allergenic diet you would need to use one protein she has never had before like Beef, Venison, Goat, or Rabbit.

Boil the protein until it is cooked through. Then feed one cup a day per each 10 pounds of cat.

She could also have environmental allergies. I did not ask if you changed the cat litter brand but that can be a cause.

If you want to know what she is allergic to the vet can run a blood test.

Environmental allergies can be treated with allergy shots, antihistamines, topical medications, and immune suppressing medications.

You can try 1/4 of a 10 mg Zyrtec tablet once a day. That is a human antihistamine that is over the counter.

You can also apply over the counter hydrocotisone cream or spray to the affected area 2-3 times a day. It is not toxic if she licks it. But if she licks it then it will not help. You can buy an e-collar at Petsmart or online.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars.