Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Ferrell cat I am feeding has a torn eye. Looks like a

Customer Question

Ferrell cat I am feeding has a torn eye. Looks like a contact lens hanging down. No blood. Eats well. But if I can catch it where do I take it? I have called all over an no one does eyes
Thank you
Debbie
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about this kitty! Given the fact that it sounds like the cornea is torn (you say that the eye itself looks torn, not that the lid is torn?) then likely the best plan for this kitty would be an enucleation- meaning removal of the eye itself- which many small animal vets are comfortable performing- versus performing a repair of the cornea, which would need to be done at an ophthalmologist. The problem is that if this has been ongoing, the eye is not likely to be salvageable, and also to repair the cornea would require applying topical eye medications several times daily, which you are unlikely to be able to do in a feral cat.