Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Past 3 nights my female cat has been meowing constantly it

Customer Question

hello for the past 3 nights my female cat has been meowing constantly it just started recently before she never did this. every time I Bend down and try to pet her she sticks her butt up in the air. the first day this started happening she would crawl everywhere. what is wrong with her? I feel bad this is happening to her and want her to feel better soon!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand your concern about Cuddles's behavior.

Is she spayed?

With the increasing daylight hours if she is not spayed it is very likely that she is going into, or is currently in, heat.

Typical behavior includes rolling, crouching with the rear in the air, especially in response to any sort of petting, increased vocalization, and increased scent marking.

She's not in pain, she's announcing to the boys she's available.

Cats will continuously cycle through heats unless bred or manually stimulated about every 2-3 weeks until late fall.

If she hasn't displayed this behavior before there are either males hanging around this time that she can smell or hear and is stimulated by, or some females get more vocal about their heats as they get older.

Either way if you don't want kittens it's time to spay her. Don't worry about waiting for her to come out of heat to spay her, that is impossible with cats because they constantly cycle, and their internal reproductive tract changes aren't as dramatic as dog's are, so we don't have to wait for them to come out of heat.

Can I answer anything else?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Elizabeth,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****