Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My outside feral cat seems to have what looks to be a bite

Customer Question

Customer: my outside feral cat seems to have what looks to be a bite mark on her foot. On both sides I see dots and the hair is missing. she is eating well and walking ok. Is it ok to give fish mox in case of infection?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I have talked to a veterinarian. However, they want to see the cat but since she is feral its nearly impossible to get her in a cage. her name is ***** ***** she is going to be 3 this spring.
JA: Are you ready to speak with the Veterinarian now?
Customer: yes
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

You can use Fish Mox, but it's unlikely to have any antibacterial properties. Typically, we would use Clavamox or Amoxicillin or Cephalexin to treat an infection like this. I understand the difficulty with her being feral.

You may just have to let it heal on it's own. It sounds like it has already abscessed out and those are the holes you're seeing. If you can get close enough to use a topical antibiotic ointment, something like Neosporin would be fine.

If she stops using the limb, then I would want to try to use a live trap and get her to a vet. Otherwise, try the topical antibiotics +/- the fish mox and see if it helps.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?