Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My kitten has become lethargic, cries when I pick her up,

Customer Question

Customer: My kitten has become lethargic, cries when I pick her up, she was fine two days ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: shadow, she has an appt. at 2 PM for Dr. I can't figure it out. I've had a lot of pets.
JA: Are you ready to speak with the Veterinarian now?
Customer: Yes
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Shadow. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. There are a large range of possible causes for Shadow's symptoms including anything from an infectious issue (hopefully she is up to date with vaccinations), to intestinal worm, a congenital problem, or even in internal organ issue. Good on you for arranging an appointment for her at 2pm, however keep a close eye on her now, as if her symptoms seem to be worsening, or if she seems to be painful, then you are best to get her seen straight away by your local ER vet. Because she is so young and her symptoms are so vague, if she still doesn't seem right over night, then you really are best to play it safe and have her seen.

In the meantime, please keep an eye on your girl's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If any of the parameters above don't seem right, if she seems quite lethargic, or if he symptoms worsen, then please get Shadow seen now if you can. In the meantime, make sure she has plenty of fresh water available and try and encourage her to drink if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.