petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My 8 month old male feral nuerted cat just got s first UTI.

Customer Question

My 8 month old male feral nuerted cat just got his first UTI. I took him to vet and they said he had crystals and gave him an antibotic 10 day slow release shot. Does this mean that he will more then likely get these a lot? Is there anything I can feed or do to prevent this from happening?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Did your vet run a test called a bacterial culture on the urine sample? This is a test that checks to see what bacteria are present in the urine. It usually takes a few days to get the results.

What kind of signs was he displaying?

What do you feed him currently?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No she did not run the bacteria test just a urine sample where she found stones. I was trying to keep the cost down. He displayed all the normal signs like trying to pee everywhere except his little box!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been feeding Purina kitten chow along with wet food and some treats.
Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the reply.

I'm sorry your cat is experiencing these symptoms. As you know, these are signs of a problem with his urinary system, but it very likely is NOT an infection based on his age. Cats can be affected by a condition called Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) which is the name given to a set of symptoms from various causes that can affect a cat's urinary system. The causes are varied and the age of the cat partly influences the likelihood of the cause. (ie older cats are more prone to bacterial infections than younger cats). Other common causes include bladder stones, crystals, tumors, and sometimes just inflammation from an unknown cause (more common in younger cats). Unfortunately, they all can show the same symptoms, no matter the cause and all are treated a little differently. Here is a link with more information about FLUTD LINK HERE

More importantly, since crystals were noted and since you have a male cat who it is very important that you make sure he continues to be able to pass urine and doesn't become obstructed. If he is obstructed and cannot urinate, he can become very ill very quickly. Even if he is not obstructed, your vet should prescribe something to relieve his discomfort. I would switch him to wet food only to avoid a very concentrated urine that will allow the crystals to form more readily. There are prescription diets that have reduced minerals to keep crystals from forming as well. Hills c/d multicare stress LINK HERE or Royal canin urinary SO LINK HERE are excellent choices in canned or dry forms (but canned is still a better choice). Even if not feeding a prescription diet, increasing his fluid intake by switching to canned food only and perhaps providing him with a pet fountain may be the best you can do to prevent reoccurrence.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well, I was wondering if in your medical opinion you think that since he is young that there is probably something more serious wrong? Also, my vet said he had crystals. Does that mean she could see them in the urine sample and what exactly does that mean for a cat his age? Actually, this is my college sons cat that he found as a tiny baby. He likes having him, but I have paid to have him neutered and now this. Just wondering what's ahead for me to spend on him. HaHa Thanks for your help. Fingers crossed that this will be a one time thing, but I doubt it! Probably just the beginning.
Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.

I don't think that because he is young, this means there is something more serious wrong. The crystals alone could have been the cause of the symptoms you were seeing. Yes they can be seen in the urine. They are a reflection of his urine being concentrated (a young cat trait) and there being too many minerals that form the crystals in his diet. In many cases, they can be prevented with a diet change. I tell people to think of it like a small glass of water that you keep adding sugar too. At some point, the solution becomes so concentrated that the crystals stop dissolving. Consider one of the prescription diets or at least switching him to wet food. By diluting his urine out when you get more fluid in his diet and decreasing the minerals in his diet that make up the crystals (if feed a prescription diet), you can help to prevent them.

It may cost a little more, but in the long run, can prevent further problems down the line.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you so much. I finally understand and will start him on the prescription food from the vet. You were very helpful.
Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.

You are most welcome. Good luck with him.