Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My dsh black female started exhibiting signs of some

Customer Question

My dsh black female started exhibiting signs of some discomfort yesterday during the day...not eating on normal schedule...but otherwise seemed herself. She is one of three cats I have had together in my home which is a single family dwelling with a big fenced in back yard. There is a large deck that they spend a lot of time nesting and playing. There is much tropical vegetation.. and I have a wild bird feeder.. So a feline haven..for them all. They all are inside/outside cats. The cat in question spends much time when I'm home inside ..and is a great lapsitter. Last evening she changed behavior wanting to be left alone..taking to a favorite chair...and exhibiting signs of discomfort.... This morning she became skittish..ran from me when I tried to touch her.. She hadn't eaten during the night.. and has not drank water all day..yesterday or when offered now..will not. No signs of toilet use. She is strangely licking her mouth and like something is stuck in there but I see nothing..also breathes occasionally with mouth open.. Cries and withdraws when I try to touch/examine here.. ???? she has never acted this way in the 2 plus years I've had her. I plan a vet visit this a.m.. when office opens..but unsure of what to tell them...? What are some possibilities..? While outside she chases geckos and has eaten them in the past...got sick from it ..but nothing serious.. We have occasional brown spotted toads which I think can be a problem if an animal would cross with a get spat upon.. ??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any retching, gagging, hard swallowing, drooling, or vomiting?

Is she drinking?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

Where were you handling when she cried?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I have not heard back from you but wanted to leave my thoughts about Ellie for your return.

Based on her signs, it does sound like your lass's anorexia is being precipitated by nausea (as the lip licking is a sign of this). I would also note that often cats go off food as a way to avoid vomiting (where dogs just keep eating and thus vomit). Now in her case, with the anorexia as well as discomfort, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include severe gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or a harmful ingestion (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). Hopefully, the latter is less likely for Ellie.

With this all in mind, I am glad that you are planning to have a check once her vet is open. Especially since cats are not well designed for being off food for the long term. In fact, when they are there is risk of secondary liver complications that can make getting them well even more difficult. Though in the meantime, if she is very unsettled, you could consider trying an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) with her. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. As well, if she weren't able to keep that down, that would be a sign that we'd want her vet to treat her with an injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Now if she keeps this down and settles, we can try her with a light diet. Examples include boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

Overall, there are a number of issues that we'd have to consider for Ellie's anorexia and discomfort. Therefore, its ideal to have her checked but in the meantime we can try her with some supportive care to settle her stomach. Since her vet may need to xray her belly for a possible foreign body, if she isn't keen to eat after the above we would refrain from syringe feeding at this point. And once her vet does see her, they assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, again further diagnostics may be needed but otherwise for those other concerns they can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, gut safe pain relief, +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dennis,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.