Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat it usually very vocal when i get home from work and

Customer Question

my cat it usually very vocal when i get home from work and is excited to see me. He gets a half serving of wet food when i get home and he usually begs for it and finishes before my other cat but tonight he didnt even want it. He didnt eat or come to see me at the door. I found him curled up on his belly in the bed room i picked him up and brought him to his food thinking he was just sleepy but he seemed completely uninterested. I did notice though that his bum was dirty and when i looked in the litter box i noticed it was runny. He just stayed on the floor where i put him so i picked him up and put him on the bed where he could be with me. When i was petting him he made some whimpering sounds so i stopped but i felt his belly was sort of distended.
So symptoms are:
Lethargy
Lack of appetite
Distended belly
Diarrhea
Vomiting (there was vomit on the floor but i dont know if it was him or the other cat. Neither has a habit of vomiting or hairballs though)
Body pains (maybe. he didnt make any noises after the first time)
He is just not himself and i`m really worried
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or excessive swallowing/gulping?

Will he drink? Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain? Or any of these signs as you lift him and put pressure on his belly?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any signs that Iggy has urinated recently?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you and I am quite concerned about Iggy. Therefore, I will leave my thoughts about what you have told me so far for your return.

Most of his signs fit with GI upset and nausea (the appetite loss, vomiting which is likely him, diarrhea, and malaise); but the distension and possible pain do make me concerned about other more serious issues. Specifically, this all could arise secondary to bladder blockage or gut obstruction from a non-edible ingestion. And I have to note that both are urgent situations that we'd want to have him seen for now.

Therefore, while we could try to reduce nausea using OTC antacids (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) alongside light diets (ie boiled chicken, white fish, meat baby food); I am just concerned that we have a bigger issue with him. And therefore, if he were my patient, I would want to see him at this stage. That way we can make sure there is no emergency blockage that needs to be addressed. If there is, we'd obviously want that sorted right away. Otherwise, if he can be ruled out then injectable anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, and antibiotics could be started to settle his GI signs and get him back to eating for us.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No retching gagging or swallowingI havent seen him drink anything And he wasnt interested when i brought him in the kitchen to eatPressing his belly doesnt seem to bother himWe have a small cactus plant but it doesnt look like got to it. Have not noticed him chewing or eating any of his toys He does steal trash from the cans every once in a while but my roommate didnt notice him with anything
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

I did post my thoughts above (so do have a wee read if you haven't yet), but can you tell me if you have seen any urination from him recently? How long ago?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I havent seen him pee recently but i was at work for 12 hours, before i left he seemed just fine
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for confirming that.

I have to say that if we aren't sure about the urination; I do think it is best to tread with care and have an urgent check. Especially since we have this sudden distension present (which could be a full bladder or again something causing havoc in the gut). Of course if there is any chance it has been there longer, then enlarged organs, tumors, or abdominal fluid from heart, liver, or protein issues would be our other concerns.

Overall, if he had just had clear GI upset signs, we could again use that above mentioned supportive care (and you can choose to do so); but with the distension and possible pain (which I would be wary of since cats tend to hide pain and that may be why we only got the one time response when he was caught off guard), I just feel that Iggy's situation is more serious than benign upset and having him checked would be ideal here.

Best wishes for Iggy,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

**Please do make sure to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). IF you have any lingering questions, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)