Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

My cat must have gotten in a fight last night. This morning

Customer Question

Customer: My cat must have gotten in a fight last night. This morning he had blood and a small cut near his neck. It seems minor but his right eye does not close now when he sleeps. The third eyelid rolls up, but I see no injury to the eye. I am worried that his eye will dry up. What should I do? The vet is closed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Must. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Must?
Customer: the cat has been injured in a cat fight. bloody scratch to neck and right eye will not close completely. how can I help keep his eye healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Yes, you are correct in that the eye could dry up. However, you can go to the drug store or walmart and buy "Celluvisc" or lubricating eye drops.

Apply them every 4 hours to the affected eye during the night.

While you are awake I would do it every 2 hours.

If the third eyelid is extended he may have a tiny scratch on his cornea which is the transparent covering of the front of the eye.

So in the morning, he needs to see the vet.

The third eyelid can also extend when the nerves around the ear and the neck are inflamed or injured.

But the scratch on the eye is the most common reason.

The vet will have to put some special dye in the eye to see if there is s scratch. If there is the special yellow dye will stick to the scratch. And then he will be put on an antibiotic eye drop until the scratch heals to prevent infection.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have human eye lubricating drops here at home. Will these work or is there a special cat lubricating drops needed?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Yes, those human ones will work just fine ; )

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby