Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He is 9 months old, has a hunk of fat near the rear of s

Customer Question

He is 9 months old, has a hunk of fat near the rear of his inside.
And his stomach is bloated and rather hard.
He poops twice in a 48 hour period most days. He also looses or leaves very small
pebble size poop sometimes around the house.
He is an indoor cat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello.

Has he had x-rays taken of his abdomen? Do you have copies that I can look at?

I'm confused by the fat near his anus and what that means.

Does he ever vomit?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
X-ray showed the fat glob placed under the bowl at the rear of his stomach.
At the time there was poop in his bowl but we were at the vet at a time when he usually does his morning poop.
But his stomach is out of proportion and somewhat hard. You can feel it with you hands when you rub near the end down near where his legs join his body.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Ok thanks.

It kind of sounds like he may have a perineal hernia or some type of diverticulum of his rectum. I would do a barium contrast enema and then shoot x-rays. If there is pocketing of the rectum or colon, then that confirms a hernia. In that case, surgery can be curative.

If there is a pocketing or diverticulum of the colon or rectum, there are procedures to remove that section of bowel and allow normal defecation.

I don't think this has to be a permanent issue. I think there are more diagnostics needed to determine what exactly is going on and then go after a surgical cure. The fat glob thing is something I haven't heard before, so that's why I think additional imaging is needed to get a definitive diagnosis.

If you can get copies of the x-rays, I'd be happy to look at them and give you a second opinion. You can attach digital images on this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?