Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Can I give my 3 yr old cat w/apparent flea allergy

Customer Question

can I give my 3 yr old cat w/apparent flea allergy dermatitis 2 to 2-1/5 MG of prednisone safely?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello.

For flea allergy dermatitis, I usually go with 2.5-5 mg of Pred per day for 3-5 days, then I half the dose for another 3-5 days, then go every other day for 3-5 doses.

Make sure you're also using a monthly flea preventative like Frontline or Revolution or Advantage. Lastly, you can also add Benadryl as needed for itching. The dose in cats is 12.5 mg (1/2 tab) every 6-8 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. I just happen to have several 20mg prednisone tabs left from my dogs treatment. I cut one down to 2.5 mg. size pieces and gave Vlad one just now and planned to give him 2.5 mg in the morning and in the evening for the next 3 - 5 days. Will follow your regimen and thanks for reassuring me. Also, thanks for the benadryl tip. I may try that too.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Sounds like a plan.

You're very welcome.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Good morning. Well, so far my plan to give Vlad the morning dose isn't working out so well, he just sniffed his food and walked off. Any suggestions how to get a wee chunk of a pill down his gullet?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

You could crush it up and mix it with some tuna juice. Otherwise, the ol open the mouth and push it down tactic.