Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat of 5 months just today started acting like he was

Customer Question

My cat of 5 months just today started acting like he was gonna throw up or sneezing. I went and bought some fur ball med and gave it to him at 6 pm. All he's been doing is sleeping , not eating and barely drinking. He is coughing in his sleep
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like your cat has an URI (upper respiratory infection). This is very common in cats and causes sneezing, nasal discharge and ocular discharge. The cause of a URI in a cat is usually viral (herpes or chlamydia most commonly).

These URI's will usually run their course and resolve over 1-2 weeks. In severe cases I like to put these cats on an antibiotic to treat/ prevent any secondary infections.

Something you can do at home to help with the nasal congestion is run a hot shower and put the cat in the bathroom for 10-15 minutes. This can help break up the congestion. You can also pick up saline nose drops and put one drop in each nostril 3-4 times daily to moisten the nasal mucosa. Other than that, you usually just have to ride out the signs and wait for it to resolve on it's own.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was concerned that this would be a fraudulent site but I was desperate. Dr Gary was clear and concise. It put me at ease because this is our first encounter with cat's. He just appeared in my back yard as a kitty, and we have grown to love him and only want the best for him.
We will get him to a Vet in the a.m
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

I'm happy to help.

This is very common in kittens and young cats. Most will do well with symptomatic care, but a round of antibiotics does typically resolve things a lot faster.

Take care!

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?