Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I recently took in a male cat. The first thing I did was

Customer Question

I recently took in a young male cat. The first thing I did was take him to my vet-I have2 dogs so I believe in all pets getting medical care. He checked him out did blood work and said all test came back normal. I had him fixed and chipped-plus caught up on all shots-about 3 weeks ago. The cat has done great - but about a week ago I noticed a very small sore on one Conner of his mouth. I watch it and it has not gotten bigger-or smaller-however tonite I noticed he now has one on the other side. Any idea what's going on? He eats fine, drinks fine, plays and acts totally normal. But, don't like sore cause I worry about infection.
Thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of these sores to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Trying to send picture as file

Well done! I see that Aniken's lips are also swollen. He needs to be checked for the ringworm fungus (those sores may be kerions indicative of ringworm - it's difficult for me to see the sore clearly), feline acne and the eosinophilic dermatitis/granuloma complex. Ringworm is suggested by fluorescence under a UV light and confirmed by fungal culture, acne is diagnosed visually, and eosinophilic dermatitis is confirmed by biopsy or a positive response to a glucocorticoid such as prednisolone. Yes, please have Aniken's vet take a look at Aniken's skin and please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you-I hate to be an over reactive pet parent but when I saw the other side start to look the same I knew I needed to ask someone. I will call my veto the morning. Thanks again.

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Hi Diane,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?