Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our cat is walking around with s head down like a prancing

Customer Question

Our cat is walking around with his head down like a prancing horse he can't lift his head why would he be doing this
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, what you are describing in your cat is called ventral flexion of the neck. This usually occurs as a result of low potassium in the blood which can occur secondary to an underlying medical disorder like: Kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, etc. The immediate concern is that this can affect his heart and be fatal if not treated promptly. For this reason I would strongly recommend to not wait and have him checked by ER veterinarian tonight. There is not much you will be able to do at home. He will need to be placed on an IV to correct the electrolyte abnormality. In addition, ER vet can run some testing to determine the exact cause for the low potassium.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took him to the vet had blood tests and they said all ok they gave him antiflamotry he still hanging his head tilted to the ground he can't lift his head
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

If the potassium levels are normal it is possible this could be neuromuscular. Wait and see how he responds to the anti inflammatory medication.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter