Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has a bad cold what can I do or give m

Customer Question

my cat has a bad cold what can I do or give him
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now I am glad to see that Marmalade has seen his vet and is being treated for this cold. That said, if he is very snuffly, there are some further supportive care options you can use at home to reduce his congestion and help him breathe easier as he fights off this infection.

To start, since he is snuffly, I would advise taking him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but cats don’t tend to like things held up to their faces. Therefore, you can make him a little ‘steam tent’ with him in his carrier, a humidifier, and a light bed sheet over both to make a little steam room for him.

As well, if he are building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. You can also use non-medicated saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses). Tilt his head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Making sure he is getting food and water is important, as congested cats who can’t smell their food often won’t eat as well as they should. Therefore, if he shows any loss of normal of appetite, then do try tempting him with smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help him be able to smell it.

Finally, since feline herpes is just one of a potential agents that can cause these signs, you can also consider treating with OTC L-lysine. This is a nutritional supplement that can help kitties with herpes recover quicker. This is available over the counter at vets, pet stores, and online. It comes as a gel, powder, or crushable tablet to add to food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day.

Overall, its positive that he is already under treatment but the above can be added to your supportive care to help him breathe easier while those treatments do their work in clearing this for Marmalade.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please make sure to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please make sure to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no further charge for this). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)