Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat was neutered on Thursday and still hasn't pooped.

Customer Question

My cat was neutered on Thursday and still hasn't pooped. When should I be concerned? He doesn't seem to be in pain. Is there a laxative for cats
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now I am glad to hear that Charlie isn't straining or uncomfortable with this. Still, if he hasn't passed stool since Thursday, then we are best to give him a hand with this. To encourage them to pass feces at home, there are a tricks we can try at home. To start, you can give him some cow's milk. Since cats are like little lactose intolerant people this can be help increase gut motility and get stool passing quicker. Otherwise, you can start treating him with OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc). This can just keep things moving and facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Finally, if he doesn't respond to those, then we can add a few millilitres of a OTC GI lubricant to his food. Examples of this are Miralax, Lactulose, and food grade mineral oil. Whichever you use, do add it to canned food for the ease of his eating it and since canned food is a way to get more fluids into kitties and combat any lurking constipation.

Of course, if we try these and see no feces in the next 24 hours or if he were sore, straining, or vomiting; then we may need a check with his vet for an enema to clear him out.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is fine. Thank you for your concern. He is using the box with no problems
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

That is great to hear. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.