Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a small dog in heat and starting last night her

Customer Question

I have a small dog in heat and starting last night her abdominal area seems very tender and she cries when we pick her up and sometimes when she moves. When she starts to lay down she kinda backs up to lay down different from what she would normally do.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She was able to go out this morning urinate and poop. She doesn't really seem lethargic it just seems she doesn't want to move because it hurts her or is uncomfortable. She drank a little bit of water this morning but hasn't eaten anything.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

4- Is the vaginal discharge heavier than usual?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 6 years old and has no other medical conditions. She has had no vomiting, or diarrhea. She has not really coughed but was sneezing a couple of days ago. Discharge is about as usual.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, there are many possible causes for the symptoms that you are describing. Abdominal discomfort can be caused by: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) and even back pain as a result of a bulging disc can be confused with abdominal pain. The fact that she has a history of being in heat it is also important to rule out a pyometra (infection of the uterus) which can be confused with being in heat as well.

As you can see from the above list there are many possible causes for her symptoms. Unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having her checked today by family veterinarian. Do Not give over the counter pain killers, most are toxic to dogs and can make many of the above mentioned possible causes worst. Once she is examined by family veterinarian they will start her on medications according to their findings via a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter