Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

We recently adopted a tuxedo cat... he's a year old. In the

Customer Question

Hi there! We recently adopted a tuxedo cat... he's a year old. In the past few weeks he is losing hair in the corners around his eyes... it's almost like he has white eyeliner surrounding his eyes where the fur is suddenly missing... he does not scratch or seem to be bothered by it... I took him to the vet and was told it's a possible auto immune problem?...... I was also told this was the first he had seen this on a cat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Can you upload a photo(s) of Mr. Cuddles's face to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. An autoimmune skin disease such as pemphigus can cause alopecia but should also cause a crusting, papular dermatitis.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will get you a photo as soon as one of my kids wakes up to get a photo of him .... as I am at work :)
Thank you!

Sounds good! I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here is the photo of Mr Cuddles

Thank you! ***** assume that both eyes look like this? If so, there are a few considerations:

1) Discharge from the eyes has scalded the medial canthus skin. In this case, the skin isn't the primary area of concern. Mr. Cuddles's eyes need to be carefully examined.

2) Both bacterial and fungal ("ringworm") infections need to be considered. A cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of his skin surface) should be performed looking for abnormal numbers of bacteria or yeast. A fungal culture should be initiated on hairs at the periphery of the hair loss.,

3) While autoimmune skin disease is a consideration, it's not as common as the above and so biopsy of the affected skin - the only manner in which to confirm the presence of autoimmune skin disease - shouldn't be performed until 1) and 2) are pursued.

Finally, amoxicillin has little value in the skin. If a bacterial infection is confirmed, amoxicillin + clavulanate (Clavamox) is reasonable, however. "Cortizone" - glucocorticoids such as prednisolone are contraindicated when either bacterial or fungal infection is present. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?