Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

She's normally very social and affectionate, loves to play.

Customer Question

Customer: She's normally very social and affectionate, loves to play. She's roughly 2 years old and I've had her since she was about 6-7 months old. Randomly she will go into these weird hissing fits where she won't let me touch her and she runs somewhere to hide. She just started doing it again today (and hasn't done it for months) and she's had 2-3 episodes tonight.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Penny
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penny?
Customer: Not that I can really think of....
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will help you.

I'm going to ask you a few questions about Penny's behavior.

Do you have any other cats?

Do you notice that touching her in certain places, especially her lower back, sets her off?

Any changes like a new person in the house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other pets besides penny. I haven't noticed any uniformity to what leads up to her episodes...but they have been more frequent today than they ever have been. They vary in the time it takes her to recover but the process seems about the same. After her episodes, she sits in the same position and dozes off and is very slow to warm back up to me. She does really well when I have people over and no one has been here today. In between her episodes she even comes out and starts playing a little and following me around and she's made more than one trip to her bowl for a little snack. It's so odd...

Yes, these behavioral episodes are challenging.

When has she had her last physical?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Within the last year

I would have your vet do a complete physical . He can check her reflexes to make sure that her nerve system is normal. If all of that checks out ask for some anti-anxiety medication.

We don't know exactly what sets these patients off, but anti-anxiety medication often helps. You would have to experiment a little with doses until you find the right one.

If you have any more questions please ask - even after the rating.

Have your vet check for feline hyper-esthesia syndrome also. To diagnose this, all conditions such as flea allergy dermatitis must be eliminated first. It is a diagnosis by elimination.

Did this information help? I wish I could tell you definitively why this happens. But hopefully your vet can rule out various causes and find one that can be treated.

Hello, How is Penny today? Any more episodes?

I hope that this problem can be resolved quickly so that Penny won't get all worked up and you won't worry anymore.

If you have a moment email me and let me know what is happening.

Also please rate this servicve.

Thank you,

Dr Marta