Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat has diabetes and is taking insulin shots twice a day?

Customer Question

My cat has diabetes and is taking insulin shots twice a day? Today after his shot he has been throwing up and hiding under the bed ! Our vet is not available today and we wonder if this could be caused by the insulin and if we should give him his next shot ?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. It is very difficult to say if it was due to the insulin injection. If he had never had a reaction to it, it probably wasn't. If he didn't eat this morning, then I may be concerned about low blood sugar. In that case, rubbing some hone on his gums may help. But, I wouldn't do that if he did eat this morning. To be on the safe side, I would not give the insulin injection tonight, especially if he is not eating. I would see how he is tomorrow. If he continues to vomit a lot today, though, I would recommend getting him to another vet to get evaluated. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.