Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Some times my cat gets constipated and when he finally it

Customer Question

Some times my cat gets constipated and when he finally poops it smells awful and has small traces of blood in it. Is this a cause for worry or is it normal?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty! This is not normal digestive function and constipation can become a chronic problem that can become very severe in cats. Has your cat always had this issue or is it a new one?

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

I am attaching an article here on constipation for you to review: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=634

I would recommend him having an exam by your vet if this is a newer problem and he is an older cat, to be sure there isn't an internal problem such as a mass that is obstructing the colon and causing constipation. Some cats do well with a change to either a diet higher in fiber, or a low residue diet (both are carried by most veterinarians). Others, depending on the cause of their constipation, may do well with an oral laxative such as laxatone or a similar hairball remedy, or with addition of fiber to the diet by adding a teaspoon or two of canned pumpkin to the diet each day, or adding psyllium (metamucil) to the diet.

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay