Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have a feral that has lived at my house + years. I am

Customer Question

I have a feral that has lived at my house for 10+ years. I am unable to touch him & he is exhibiting signs for being sick. I cannot catch him - or trap him since he is not eating & I wondered if I can give him liquid baby aspirin - if I can get him to take it in some broth or whatever he may decide to eat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your problem! Can you tell me what signs you are seeing that make you suspicious this kitty is sick?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
As I stated - he is not eating ANYTHING. He will walk to his food bowl - sniff & turn around & walk away. I have tried numerous flavors of cat food plus chicken & chicken broth.
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

So unfortunately I don't really think there is going to be much you are going to be able to do for this kitty without bringing him in for someone to examine and determine why he isn't eating, other than offering a wide variety of foods. Aspirin can be toxic to cats- they do not metabolize it the same as people and dogs and it is very easy for them to get ill if taking it. Also, aspirin is not good for the digestive tract, so the last thing you want to do for a kitty that isn't eating would be to give them a medicine which can cause stomach irritation and ulceration. I would try putting out some different meats- tuna, beef, chicken, also try dry and canned foods in case he prefers one over the other- and you can also try making a gruel by putting canned food into a blender to see if he will lap this up. But I definitely would not recommend trying to give him aspirin, as it could make him even more ill!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately I can't watch him starve to death either. Is there anyway to tranquilize him?
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Not without a prescription medication. There isn't any over the counter medication that will sedate him, and if he isn't eating, I am not sure how you can get it into him if he is too feral to handle... It is a tough situation, and I wish I had a better solution for you!!! Does he let you pick him up at all? Even if you can't get him into a carrier, sometimes it is easier to get them into a large cardboard box- if you can pick him up and kinda cover him with a towel and quickly drop him in and have someone seal the top. You just need to make sure the bottom is securely taped so it doesn't fall open and poke some holes in the box. You also may consider finding out if there are any rescue groups in the area that may be able to help you try to catch him.