Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My cat Dallas seems to walk with somewhat of a limp or

Customer Question

My cat Dallas seems to walk with somewhat of a limp or sluggish, like he may be in some pain. He's 11 yrs old. I've been told to try pure pumpkin and a baby aspirin. Is this safe for him, until he goes to the vet for his booster shots. Oh yes, he is 20lbs. Also, he had him neutered as soon as he was old enough, as a kitten, but lately he's been wanting to "hump" only my left leg, when I'm laying down in our bed,and he does it when my mother calls at night to say goodnight, it's like he can hear her voice. Any ideas? I can never remember to talk to his vet about it.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty! unfortunately, there is not a safe and fast acting over the counter pain medication for cats. Cats are particularly sensitive to aspirin and their bodies do not process it as ours do and so it can be dangerous for them to take: http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/digestive/c_ct_aspirin_tox.

You can try putting your kitty on a glucosamine chondroitin joint supplement such as Cosequin for cats: http://www.amazon.com/Nutramax-Cosequin-Capsules-80-Count/dp/B000F4W02M but it can take a month of daily administration to see if it is going to be enough to help your kitty. If you feel he is in enough pain to require more immediate relief, then you will need to discuss a prescription pain medication with your vet.