Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

The cat I just adopted does not have ringworms but she is a

Customer Question

The cat I just adopted does not have ringworms but she is a carrier. What can I give her to stop spreading ringworm to me and others?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty! Has she been tested and found to be a carrier for ringworm?

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

The treatment of choice in these cases is a combination of oral itraconazole (often must be compounded because human formulations are too large for most kitties) and twice weekly lime-sulfur dips. This will require a prescription from a veterinarian, so if your kitty hasn't yet visited a vet since you have adopted him, you will need to schedule an appointment for him to get this medication. It is also recommended that until a cat has completed treatment and tested negative, it be confined to a separate living area from other cats, and that the room be cleaned twice weekly. You can read about this in detail at the bottom of the first article I am linking.

I am going to attach some links to articles on this condition that will hopefully provide you with some information you may find useful:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=559

and

https://www.giveshelter.org/dermatophyte-treatment-in-a-nutshell.html?highlight=YToxOntpOjA7czo4OiJyaW5nd29ybSI7fQ%3D%3D

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!