Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

QUESTION}we have a 7 month old kitten with sneezing,

Customer Question

QUESTION}we have a 7 month old kitten with sneezing, lethargy and her eyes are squinted and there is no mucous, from what I can see. She's been sick for about 4 days. What should we do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitten! Are you online to discuss her? Do you have a thermometer at home? Is there someone who could help you take a rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just a regular thermometer Dr?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What should her temp be?
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Yes, a regular digital thermometer, you will want to put some lubricant on it- vaseline or ky jelly or something similar, and insert just an inch or two into the rectum. This is pretty tough to do if you don't have help!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My husband when he comes home about 7 can take temp. What should her normal temp be? Her nose is quite warm.
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Normal temperature would be 100.5 to 102.5. Give me just a moment here to type a little more info for you.

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

So it is fairly common for cats to get upper respiratory infections- like us catching a cold. Most often there is a viral cause, sometimes they can develop secondary bacterial infections though. If a cat is eating and drinking and active as normal, then sometimes they can clear the virus on their own. But if they develop trouble breathing, or start to get green or yellow discharge from their nose, have decreased energy or appetite, then they may have a secondary bacterial infection and need to see a vet for antibiotics.

If you feel right now like they just have nasal congestion and aren't having real breathing issues, you could try treating them symptomatically for a day or two. What I would recommend would be to get some saline nasal drops (you can get them over the counter in the human pharmacy- most of the squeeze spray bottles when turned upside down will come out as a drip). You can put a few drops into each nostril a few times a day to help loosen any dried mucus in the nostrils. You can also either put them in a room with a humidifier overnight, or you can put them into a bathroom while you run a steamy shower for 15 minutes once or twice a day to provide some moisture to their respiratory tract and help loosen any congestion. If they still seem congested after that, you can get affrin nasal spray, and put one drop in one nostril in the AM, and one drop in the other nostril in the PM, but do not do this for longer than 3 days in a row.

But it sounds like your kitty is lethargic and not eating as well, then I think it is possible your kitty may need to see a vet for oral antibiotics.

Here is an article on cat upper respiratory infection FYI:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=613

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will they be able to call me today?
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry, I am not set up to take phone calls. If you want me to open your question back up to other experts, you can see if someone else is available to call you, or I can answer any other questions you have here that weren't answered in my reply above here on the computer. Were you able to see the information about feline upper respiratory infections that I typed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When will I hear from the Dr?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was only told to take her temperature, and got no other info!
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry, it appeared on my screen, so not sure why you couldn't see it, but I will paste it below:

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Here is that link so you can click on it, it didn't copy as a hyperlink:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=613

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Just checking to see now if you got the information I reposted about upper respiratory infections- want to be sure that my response and link to the article came through to you! Not sure why you couldn't see it earlier- I apologize!

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay