petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

7 year old fixed male cat has been diagnosed with

Customer Question

7 year old fixed male cat has been diagnosed with pancreatits. Seems to be feeling better after seeing the vet but still not eating. Scared hes going to eventually pass & dont know if theres anything else we should be doing.vet gave him sub q fluids, cerenia & covenis. Dont have much more money to spend on tests but dont want to lose him. Please help.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Waffles today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

How was the pancreatitis diagnosed? Was a blood test called a PLI run? Ultrasound performed?

Has an appetite stimulant been tried?

Has your vet recommended other tests?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Because of our income they have only diagnosed by symptoms so far. Vomiting & no eating or drinking.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is now also losing hair on his back tummy and legs. Oh my god
Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry but I must have logged off right before you replied.

Pancreatitis can be a challenge to confirm even with extensive testing and the symptoms of vomiting and not eating are not specific to any one disorder, but can manifest with various multiple conditions. The medications that were prescribed so far are symptomatic treatments and not necessarily a cure for disorders and as such may help with various conditions.

Inflammatory bowel disease and intestinal lymphoma are two conditions that present with very similar symptoms and both can be responsive to steroids. If he is not getting any better, and you can't afford any further testing, I would ask your vet if they could prescribe a short course of steroids before giving up. If his symptoms are due to inflammatory bowel disease, he may very likely respond favorably. The same holds true for lymphoma, but if it is that, the response may not be as long.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Waffles. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.