Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

General vomiting. listlessness. Ate fine this morning, now

Customer Question

Customer: General vomiting. listlessness. Ate fine this morning, now nothing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Oscar. He is 16, 17 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oscar?
Customer: He has urinated, so he is not blocked. He just seems miserable when he was OK this am. He's sleeping, curled into a ball right now. He wants to be left alone.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Any more retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

What did he bring up in his vomit?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No discomfort in abdomen. When he vomited, he brought up liquid cat food. (We feed wet and dry). This was wet. He seems better this AM--he ate and drank.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

That is great news to hear that Oscar is better this morning. Especially since all his signs suggested nausea and significant GI upset; which can raise concerns of GI infections, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretions or at his age also be linked to organ (ie liver, kidney), metabolic, or even cancer concerns. Furthermore, its positive that he has broken his fast since we often see secondary fatty liver issues with cats that are off their food for a while.

Now since he is eating, we'd just monitor at this point. If he seems to have any nausea relapses, then you can try him with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you find he cannot keep that down, then we'd need to have his vet bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Otherwise, we can consider a light diet if you think he seems unsettled at all. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

Overall, its great to hear that he is back to eating/drinking since we can see some pretty serious triggers for this in cats his age. So, keep a close eye and any lapse, then do try the above. Of course, any more anorexia and we'd want to consider a check up +/- general blood testing to make sure we don't have a serious issue underlying hat we need to address for Oscar.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please make sure to rate my answer as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply tome via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)