Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat stopped eating today. He is vomiting everything

Customer Question

My cat stopped eating today. He is vomiting everything including medication.
He has heart disease, he is blind, he has heavy breathing. He is 8 years old.
He takes Enalapril, spironolactone, furosemide, vetmedin.
One of his doctors said that he has a tumor behind his left eye and it might be cancerous.
This diagnosis was given 14 months ago.
I need to know if he is in pain and what to do
Thank you,
Georgette
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Jacques has been feeling so ill. I will do my best to help.

He certainly has a long list of diseases to deal with - many of which have the potential to decrease his quality of life. The biggest concern I have from your description is that he has heavy breathing. When cats with heart disease are having trouble breathing, that's something that I want to get under control ASAP. If I can't get them breathing well, then I do suggest that owners consider euthanasia. Being blind they can get though very well once they adjust. The recent onset of vomiting may just be a "stomach flu" type of thing, however, in a kitty with as many health problems as Jacques has, I'm concerned that this could signal a significant decline in his condition.

Here are a couple of links to help you place an objective number on a very subjective subject:

http://vet.osu.edu/assets/pdf/hospital/companionAnimals/HonoringtheBond/HowDoIKnowWhen.pdf

http://www.aplb.org/resources/quality-of-life_scale.php

I would suggest having him in for an exam - this could even be urgent or an emergency if he's really struggling to breathe. Respiratory distress definitely classifies as "suffering" when we are considering euthanasia decisions. I'm so sorry that you're having to go though this with your buddy - let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)