Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My name is ***** ***** and my 1.5 year old fixed female cat

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and my 1.5 year old fixed female cat came inside last night, and now meows and jumps down when we touch her belly. We can't see any injury, and she seems to be acting normal otherwise.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure, when she first came inside and I picked her up, I noticed the fur on her upper stomach was kind of wet and matted, but there was no blood, or lump or anything, still isn't today, but she is still meowing and freaking out when I pick her up and try to touch her tummy. I haven't seen any vomit or other unusual behavior, but I only saw her for a few minutes just now on lunch, I am at work all day, and I'm really worried.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I would look very carefully for a cat bite wound on her abdomen. Wet and matted fur suggests saliva - either from the biting cat or from your cat who has been licking the painful area. Having your vet carefully examine your cat would be prudent and if there's any chance of a bite wound, a systemic antibiotic needs to be administered within 72 hours of being bitten in order to avoid a bite wound cellulitis (inflammation of the tissue) turning into a bite wound abscess.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?