Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 3 yr old cat has some areas around her neck that she is

Customer Question

my 3 yr old cat has some areas around her neck that she is scratching. They feel like caked dry skin. She is an indoor cat, but I did see 1 flea jump off her yesterday. What should I treat her with? Can I put flea treatment on her if she has scratched the spots open?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

You've felt the papulocrustous eruption of miliary dermatitis - a common condition that arises secondary to allergic dermatitis in cats. A flea saliva allergy is the most common of the allergic dermatitises in cats. This type of allergy is usually very responsive to an antihistaminic glucocorticoid such as prednisolone prescribed by her vet. Good flea control is paramount, of course, but placing any of the topical flea products when raw skin is present isn't recommended. Instead, please consider a prescription oral flea product such as Comfortis (spinosad) or the over the counter oral flea product Capstar (nitenpyram) available in many pet/feed stores.

Just as important is treating your premises. The over the counter area premise spray (not the inefficient foggers) Siphotrol is a good choice because it not only contains an adult flea killer but also the insect growth regulator (IGR) methoprene which stops flea eggs and larvae from maturing into adult fleas thus breaking up the life cycle of the flea.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.