Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has been having health issues. He had presented as

Customer Question

My cat has been having health issues. He had presented as having a UTI and had been treated for it with antibiotics this past week. However recently he had thrown up multiple times (unusual for him) and a day later seemed to have no appetite (also extremely unusual). He also had not pooped and had barely peed in this time. After 24 hrs of this behavior (not eating or pooping) we took him in.
We took him into the vet today; they ended up giving him anti nausea meds, subcutaneous fluid, and something to stimulate his appetite. He has started eating again but has yet to produce any poop (he has peed some) after under 12 hours.
His behavior is very different tonight, he is much clinger than usual and is constantly purring and breathing rapidly. Also his body temperature seems high and his ears are hot. He is meowing but it seems strained (possibly from them drawing blood from his jugular today?)
I'm concerned with the behavior change that he is experiencing pain.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Has he been trying to pass stool since he started showing these signs?

Is he passing urine normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His breathing rate would seem to be between 60-70, using your formula.His mouth seems normal, I would say his gums look a pale pink, maybe whiter than that but I don't have a good basis for comparison (never really looked before).His belly feels tighter, feels full. He doesn't run away or try to bite when I press it. He does rub his face all over me and purr when I do.He has urinated, but he still has not passed any stool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked online to see examples of healthy gum color and my cat seems to be within the healthy range. The majority of his mouth is bright pink, only the side gums are close to lacking pigment and not even close to some I saw online.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on Bowie's signs, I have to say that I am quite concerned by that breathing rate. At rest, it should be ~20-30bpm, so he is definitely showing elevation here. That raises concerns that we could have a oxygenation issue (ie heart,lung, blood level problems) but given everything else he is facing, I suspect it could be related to discomfort or even pain potentially due to constipation here. And that fits with the tightness you are feeling there (and thankfully he is passing urine; since that is an ER situation for cats when they cannot).

With this in mind, we need to tread with care. We don't want him to be breathing like that and uncomfortable. Therefore, to start, we can help relieve mild constipation but plan to have him seen if we cannot get things moving. In regards ***** ***** we can start by using some cow milk. This is because they are like little lactose intolerant people and therefore this can help move things down the gut a bit quicker. Or you can treat him with a dose of OTC cat hairball medication. This works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, we could also mix a small volume of a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, lactulose, or food grade mineral oil) into his food. Do avoid giving it directly, since we’d want to avoid any aspiration risk.

Further to this, if he is eating you can mix in some fiber (ie a spoonful of canned pumpkin, all bran, or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil) into his food. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. When offering these, its best to use wet food both for ease of feeding but also since canned food is 35% water. It’s a good way to make sure we are getting fluids into him. As well, you also want to encourage him to drink by offering fresh water, low salt chicken broth, or even lactose free milk. The increase in fluids with avoid any dehydration risk, which can make constipation worse.

Overall, we need to tread with care if he is breathing so quickly (especially when not purring) and this belly is tight. The above can get feces moving in mild cases but if we aren't seeing stool in the next few hours, then we may need a double check with his vet and an enema.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We ended up taking him into the vet. He has since passed stool and seems to be headed back to normal. Thank you for your answers.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update,

I am glad to hear that he has passed stool and is on the mend.

Take care,

Dr. B

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dain,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.