Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Animal is dead
, is styrofoam poison to sum kats?

Customer Question

animal is dead
JA: Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: is styrofoam poison to sum kats?
JA: Did you see what the animal ate?
Customer: just answer ? please
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the animal?
Customer: it had no tail
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm so sorry to hear about that your kitty is dead - I'm sure that was very shocking and sad. To directly answer your question - styrofoam by itself isn't toxic, however if they eat enough of it, it can cause a GI obstruction (blockage) that can most definitely be life threatening. Pets with a GI obstruction do a lot of vomiting, as they can't move food or water through their GI tract.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss - please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)