Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat suddenly wasn't interested in food this afternoon

Customer Question

Customer: My cat suddenly wasn't interested in food this afternoon after eating normally this morning. He threw up once and now he is listless. He feels warm under his chin. Can I wait and see how he is tomorrow before calling the vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about The?
Customer: I have another cat who is ill, but his situation has to do with changes in his pancreas and intestines. He has no fever and he's eating.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

To better advise you, I need you to check a few vital signs for me...

1) Please check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Please check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute.

3) Please take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will suffice when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5 - 102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.