Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I've got 6 cats and during the monthly de-flea process I

Customer Question

Hello
I've got 6 cats and during the monthly de-flea process I managed to do one of the cats twice by mistake....I'm really worried, will this cause harm?
I use the advantage product
Thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If you have just applied a double dose to one cat, you can wash this off using cool water and dish soap to err on the side of caution. Still, I am glad to report that the Advantage products have been tested for overdose risks in cats and the company states that "no adverse clinical signs were produced using doses of five times the therapeutic level". So, even if we don't wash this off (and provided he doesn't lick it and cause drooling or GI upset), this isn't likely to cause harm. So, we can wash this away using dish soap to break down the oil in this but we'd not expect any harm.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much...I've been panicking like you wouldn't believe
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I completely understand, since so many things carry the risk of harm. But luckily this isn't a case of that and we'd expect no issue. So, we can use the above to remove and reduce the dose he had but again this is well under that 5x dose they tested before the product was released for use in pet cats. :)

Please take care,

Dr. B.

*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you...you're a star ✨
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome. :)

Have a great day and all the best,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.