Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My cat has tiny lumps under s chin. I looked at a few that I

Customer Question

My cat has tiny lumps under his chin. I looked at a few that I have taken off under a magnifier, but could not determine what they were. It looks like tiny scabs, but they are hard to remove. What could this be?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Tiny bumps under the chin of a cat, especially if they look black or like tiny scabs, is a condition called feline acne. The process is very similar to human acne. First the pores under the chin get plugged then they rupture like human pimples. Unlike humans the pimples spend almost no time in the yellow pus phase which is why they go immediately to the scabbed phase. If this area is not incredibly itchy, or has open draining wounds then nothing needs to be done, in most cats this comes and goes without treatment just like in humans. If large open sores form then at that point antibiotics will be needed. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan