Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat received steroids and antibiotics months. Neither

Customer Question

My cat received steroids and antibiotics for two months. Neither stopped her from throwing up. Gradually she has gone from 9# ***** approx. 3# ***** is nothing but bones. The vet could not narrow down what was wrong - several possibilities according to the blood tests. She is 16. She won't eat, but drinks water. This morning she stood in the shower, getting soaked. She won't drink any water except from the toilet (like a dog does). She is very weak. I don't want her to suffer. I don't know what to do. She is my best buddy and we've been thru a lot together..the thought of putting her down is horrific but I don't want her to suffer.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am so sorry to hear about Krackers deteriorating health concerns. I know how troubling this can be from a pet owner standpoint.

That is a lot of weight to lose! I get concerned when I see significant weight loss to this nature. It puts a huge stress on their organs and particularly their heart. I hope that I can help you with the decision process here for her.

Have you tried any appetites stimulants for her (ie. Mirtazapine or Cyproheptadine).- Dr. H

Hello this is Dr. H again and I wanted to just follow up with considering i haven't gotten a response to my initial reply to your question concerning Krackers. It also appears that you have not had a chance to view my reply. Hopefully you are not experiencing technical difficulties. If you do somehow find your way back to the chat and you want to continue to conversation I will be checking my notifications periodically so that I may assist you further.

Thanks!- Dr. H